Monday, January 24, 2005

Wanting to want/Finishing things

This past weekend, I went to a B.A.S.I.C. event up at Elim. It was called Destiny Weekend, and it was for college juniors and seniors. I went even though I'm technically still a sophmore. The whole weekend was intended to give students lacking direction and vision, some direction, and help focus on things that actually matter. I was pretty sceptical of the thing, cause it cost money and stuff, but apon ariving, well.. I was floored. (not in the slain in the spirit way)

There were ten kids that came, counting me, so I got to get to know everyone pretty good. There were 3 or 4 different people involved with BASIC who spoke, and then hung out with us for the rest of the time. The incredible part about it was that instead of having some preacher giving a loud, impersonal message, I instead met some honest, down to earth people, who have given up their lives to help college students. It was humbling to know that these people put all this work into something just for me. And it was intense to hear their stories of abandoning nice paying jobs and homes and mortgages, to obey God.

The Spirit of God has been among other things, telling me to give things up. Which is why much of the weekend hit so hard. I'm entering into a time of my life where I am deciding what is truly important, and what is wasted. I look around my room, through the utter mess of it all, its clear to me where I get most of my pleasure, and where most of my time, money, and energy goes. I'm starting to ransack my life. Not in a gung-ho, book-burning, caught up in the moment way, (as i have in the past) but as a sacraficial statement. I really want my room (which i have long looked at as a metaphor for my life) to reflect my spirit. I really want to want the Creator more.

I really don't want to repeat last year.

9 When they reached the place God had told him about, Abraham built an altar there and arranged the wood on it. He bound his son Isaac and laid him on the altar, on top of the wood. 10 Then he reached out his hand and took the knife to slay his son. 11 But the angel of the LORD called out to him from heaven, "Abraham! Abraham!"
"Here I am," he replied.
12 "Do not lay a hand on the boy," he said. "Do not do anything to him. Now I know that you fear God, because you have not withheld from me your son, your only son."

(Gen. 22)



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

so your blog thing is really awesome.
it really encourages me, seriously.
i really appreciate this post because i've been thinking a lot along the same lines lately, and its really awesome to see other people going through some of the same stuff.
and the abraham stuff. yeah. it amazes me how God can use other people (like you) to show someone (like me) some stuff in their lives thats going on.
so yeah, thanks for that buckaroo.
~gina~

Anonymous said...

Tom, it doesn't translate to print well, but here it is . . . the sound of one man clapping
-Andrew Russo

Tom said...

Thanks again for the nice comments Gina, good to know God is saying some of the same things to other ppl as well. And Andrew, your claps mean alot to me. Thank you.